What is Breast Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction is a set of surgeries that aims to restore the appearance of the breast after oncological surgeries. In cases of tumor resection, ie removal of only the tumor with a small amount of healthy tissue around it, an oncoplasty operation is usually sufficient. In cases where most of the breast needs to be removed (total mastectomy) the restoration needs to be done with larger su[..]
Candidates for the Surgery
- Healthy people without serious health problems
- Non-smokers or people who intend to follow instructions for at least a temporary cessation of smoking
- People who after talking with the doctor understand the possibilities and what this surgery can offer them
The Examination Before Surgery
What are your goals for breast reconstruction, your expectations and the end result that you would consider desirable.
Medical problems you may have, drug allergies and previous surgeries and medical treatments
List of medications, vitamins, and supplements you use.
Also tell your doctor about alcohol, tobacco, or drug use.
Preparing For Surgery
- Quit smoking at least 2 weeks before surgery.
- Avoid taking aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs and other medications as they may increase bleeding during surgery (you will be given a list of medications, supplements and foods we recommend to avoid preoperatively)
- Stop taking drugs because they may interact dangerously with the drugs that will be used in the op[..]
The operation is performed under general anesthesia.
The restoration technique decided during the examination will be applied after all the options have been discussed and analyzed.
Risks And Security
The decision for any plastic surgery is personal and should be made by weighing the benefits of achieving your main cosmetic goals and the risks and possible complications of surgery.
These plastic surgeries are usually very safe, with very little chance of complications, however as with any surgery there are some unavoidable risks.
You will be asked to sign consent fo[..]
The key to the success of your surgery is to follow exactly the postoperative instructions that will be given to you.
In cases of oncoplasty or rehabilitation with a tissue dilator and silicone implant, one day of hospitalization is usually required to recover from the medications given during the operation. You will be mobilized as soon as your situation allows.
Costs may vary depending on the complexity and estimated duration of the operation.
- Anesthesia fees - fee of anesthesiologist
- Cost of hospitalization and use of surgical facilities
- Medical examinations, medicines, consumables
- Cost of silicone dilators / implants.
- Remuneration of surgeon / assistants
Questions to ask during the exam
- Am I a good candidate for this surgery?
- How should the operation be done to have the best possible results and which of the rehabilitation methods would best suit me?
- What are the risks and complications associated with surgery? How often do these problems occur?
- How are complications treated?
- How much recovery period and what help will I need duri[..]